#madeofgreat Grit personified!

If someone asks you to speak about a special someone in your life who left a lasting impression in you, who would you speak about?

Would it be your best friend who lent her shoulder to you at times of grief?
Would it be the teacher from your primary grade who constantly motivated you?
Would it be your sibling with whom you fought a lot but yet ganged up with to do mischief?
Or would it be your mother with whom you sat down everyday evening to share how your day was?

For most of you, it would be your mother. Your mother with whom you spent a lot of time as a child and adult, sharing every single detail of your life without inhibitions.

Who do you think I would speak about if I was asked the same question? I would speak about my mother too, but there is a small difference. I never dedicated my time to her, to speak to her, to listen to her aspirations about me or to share my innermost feelings with her. Never as a child; never as a teen; and now, I can't afford to do that in my adult life too. But, now, I am a mother too. I now see and feel how my mother would have felt at various stages of her life. Each and every other day, it hits me hard that my mother is #madeofgreat grit and determination right from the day she became a mother.

Without the grit and determination she had developed against all the odds that she faced in her life, I wouldn't be the person I am today. To be a working mother would not have been easy at all in the 80s and 90s. In today's scenario, there are plenty of day-cares and play-schools to tend to the needs of working mothers. But when I was a 3 month old baby, my mother had to resume work back. She used to leave me in the custody of my paternal grandmother who always put up a cold-war with my mother for some reason. Unlike today where most of the mothers-in-law are friendly and amicable (I have one and I am extremely gifted for that I would say), a daughter-in-law and mother-in-law were mostly at logger-heads years back. Despite the mental agitations that sprang up now and then, my mother never gave up her work-life aspirations. I am amazed at how she sailed through all that was against her just for my sake.


My mother and I have never expressed our love for each other openly like any other mother and daughter. As I always grew up under the care of my grandmother, I always thought that my mother was a secondary figure in my life and it continued till I became a mother. That is when I understood that my mother is made of great patience, understanding and mental strength. If she had given up her strength and tolerance twenty five years back, I do not know where I would be in life today. I realized only recently what a mental roller-coaster it would have been for her, to deal with people around her, to keep up with expectations of people around her and yet do everything that she could do for me. She used to make sure she provided me the right nutritious food, take interest in buying me books and comics and motivate me to learn a new language. These were her ways of expressing love. I am deeply sorry Amma, that I did not reciprocate my love to you in the right ways because I failed to recognize what you had been doing for me. For me, it was about the time I had wanted to spend with you. But I now realize how much of a struggle it would have been for you to strike the right balance between your work and my needs. I realize that you are made of great dreams and aspirations for yourself and me. I do not know if I have fulfilled the dreams you had for me, but every time I go through a hard situation today I think about how you sailed through your life till today. You are being a subtle and silent inspiration to me every day today. Amma, you are a personification of self-belief and for sure #madeofgreat excellence!How true when they say that it takes for you to be a mother to understand that every mother is #madeofgreat value!

Would you like to know who else is #madeofgreat? Check out: http://madeofgreat.tatamotors.com/

Love and warmth,
Haripriya

Comments

  1. Indeed a nicely written post. I wish you good luck for the contest
    Here is my answer
    The association of Tata Motors with Lionel Messi is that of two greats. Lionel Messi has been exceptionally talented who with his hard work, determination and sacrifices has got better and tougher in his chosen sport so is the Image, reputation and quality of TATA Motors that have transformed brilliant ideas into masterpieces of engineering and created a brand and products that we are so proud of as Indians. Lionel Messi has transformed his body and the mind body co-ordination into a masterpiece of precision and excellence it would not be wrong to say that Lionel Messi is the TATA Motors of sports where as TATA Motors is the Lionel Messi of vehicles both giants in their own spheres driven by the drive to excel and lead by example. So Lionel Messi is the best choice for becoming the brand Ambassador for TATA Motors
    aaloke19@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your post describes #madeofgreat so well that it has winner written all over it. Good luck for your entry.
    Here is my answer.
    Like minds think and act alike looking at the track record of TATA Motors it has stood the test of time and built a business that was built using bricks of hard work on a foundation of trust. Authenticity, reliability, simplicity, as well as its commitment to innovation are the trademarks of brand TATA Motors. These same qualities are present in Lionel Messi who with his immense talent has made a mark for himself on the international football field .Facing all hardships he has worked hard toiling on the fields and in training sessions facing injuries and pressure to come out trumps and be a winner. Thus these two greats Lionel Messi and TATA Motors are made for each other .There association is a bond of two legends
    In case you pick me a winner my email id is : princess09hema@gmail.com
    Fingers crossed :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your post defines #madeofgreat to the hilt. Goodluck for the contest
    My answer is:
    Authenticity, reliability, simplicity, as well as its commitment to innovation are the pillars of strength on which TATA have built a brand that has put India on the global map. It is a brand that has stood the test of time just like Lionel Messi who tackles opposition on the field with his skill,agility,strategy,brilliance and raw power to reach and score a goal so has been the track record of TATA motors who has become a brand leader and a global giant. These qualities make TATA Motors and Lionel Messi perfect partners who stand for the same set of values thus Lionel Messi is the perfect brand ambassador to represent TATA Motors.
    Hope my best to be a winner here; do contact me for the prize at mahima2014j@gmail.com
    fingers crossed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post defines #madeofgreat in an awesome manner.Very well written and interesting post indeed.
    My Answer
    Tata Motors is a brand that makes durable vehicles, with its MADE IN INDIA mark makes every Indian proud. It is a brand seen globally as Trusted, Reliable, Innovative and at the forefront of technology. In its journey since inception it has overcome all odds, competition, and adversities with grit and determination. These same qualities are associated with Lionel Messi who was very talented and hardworking from a very early age. With each game that he played he kept improving his skills and built a career to become one of the best player of professional football. There qualities make both TATA Motors and Lionel Messi giants who perfectly compliment each other and Lionel Messi the right and perfect Ambassador who stands for the same values that TATA Motors does.
    bhuwan198grover@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

13 self-written quotes that help me #BeAlive

What can I (and we) do before another Nirbhaya or Swathi?

When does she stop dreaming?