Remembering beautiful Nepal.. Stay Strong Nepal!



October 2010. I landed in Kathmandu at the Tribhuvan International Airport. Tribhuvan - the name in itself felt divine to me, I don't know why. I was travelling completely on my own and was clueless about the immigration formalities or if even there was something like that to be done. It was a small airport with not much people around. One would think of it as a small guest house on first sight. I still remember how one of the few airport staff present there read the cluelessness on my face and readily helped me out. Yes, that was when I was impressed with the beautiful nature of people in that country.

Over the next one week, my stay was in Nepal for a workshop on Earth Observation for Climate Change actions in the Hindukush Himalayan region. I have always been excited to meet new people, especially from other countries, after my training in climate change issues with the British Council in India. Nepal also gave me a lot of interesting people to meet. I reached a neat lodging space nestled away from the busy commercial areas of Nepal in a cab. That evening, I travelled alone in a random cab which I would have hesitated to do in my own country due to fear. There, I didn't know the proper language but was convinced to travel alone, thanks to my clueless intuition. The driver was too courteous to try and understand my broken Hindi and converse with me proudly about his country, the various businesses that people do to improve the economy, the market places and what were famous. He did safely help me reach my venue.

That evening, I met zealous, committed youth who were working in different parts of Nepal on various environmental projects. These youth were intensely passionate on issues that affected the mountain country's serene environment. A few of them were cyclists, some of them were campaigners and activists, some of them were involved in creative media arts to spread awareness. Nepal did impress me with its inspiring youth.





Over the next few days, I met a lot more young people with brilliant ideas and knowledge about their country. Some of us from India, Pakistan, Nepal and Bangladesh formed a gang and visited some of the important landmarks like the Patan Durbar Square, a Buddhist temple on top of a hill. I remember there was a small pond build with concrete around and a standing Buddha on top of a pillar in the center. We were supposed to take out coins and throw them at the pillar. If the coin we threw landed on the pillar without falling into the pond, our wishes would come true. This was an interesting belief, but I didn't succeed in the attempt :) Some of my other friends did.


















As we drove past streets, I found some meat shops which were peculiar and different to me at first sight. So I managed to click a picture on the go. 


We went for a beautiful morning walk to Patan Durbar Square, a serene place best suited for mornings and twilight hours, bustling with people yet withholding its calmness. There were ancient sculptures, wooden carving works that amazed us with their intricacies.



We also visited this small Krishna temple (I think it was Lord Krishna) where a bhajan was going on. At many levels, I felt at home like I was in India except for the style of architecture and the features of people's faces. I would say Nepal is a country very similar to ours.


Stunning architecture like this proves the historical significance that Nepal holds till date.

Nepal, the country is not just another country on the world map. A country worth to be noticed by all of us. Passionate youth seriously working for meaningful causes, institutions like ICIMOD (International Centre for Integrated Mountain Development) working for the universal cause of environmental protection, monuments and landmarks that have stood the test of time, and much more. 

The earthquake that happened on April 25, 2015 is something unfortunate that shouldn't have happened to a country like Nepal. But I am sure the country and its people will stay strong and come out of distress very soon. You will all be kept in our prayers. I am sure that my climate champion friends will continue working towards the improvement of environmental situation in the country. Your lives will become better soon, so stay hopeful. Salute to your spirit and wishes to rise back as a nation together!

A picture taken with all the friends in Nepal (also has a few from Pak, China and Ind)



Let us also pause a bit and think about what is causing natural calamities around the world. Let us be assured that each every action of ours has a genuine reaction from Mother Nature. Let us be conscious to mend a few of our ways , from today onwards, to make our a world a better place to live in.


Some links related to this post if you wish to help the people in distress and to know more about the natural calamity:
http://www.supportunicef.org/site/c.dvKUI9OWInJ6H/b.9274583/k.FBFF/Help_Children_in_Nepal_Donate_for_earthquake_response.htm

http://www.usaid.gov/nepal-earthquake/fy15/fs01

http://www.storypick.com/nepal-earthquake-news/

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

13 self-written quotes that help me #BeAlive

What can I (and we) do before another Nirbhaya or Swathi?

When does she stop dreaming?